Thursday 25 October 2012

I thank you all for the good wishes, and thought I would post as soon as possible that the concert in Lisbon was, despite me still being full of cold, a great success. We ended up with one of those wonderful standing ovations where people don't just rise dutifully, poked by their spouse, but actually leap spontaneously to their feet.  Absolutely wonderful!!  The venue was glorious - the picture shows the right-hand wing of the exquisite room in the Palacio Foz where we were honoured to perform.  It ended up packed to the gunnels and my goodness was the crowd enthusiastic!  I was particularly moved at the reaction to my rendition of Peter Lieberson's Neruda Songs.  These were the works I have enthused about and absolutely love, but to be honest it's not often that songs composed recently (as in the latter half of twentieth century onwards; these are actually 21st century), never before heard by the audience (I asked.  Definitely not.) and not in the native language get such amazingly positive responses.  I was utterly flabbergasted to be overwhelmed with "Brava"s even before the last chord had faded on the piano...

We were rewarded for our efforts with standing ovations and SUCH enthusiasm.  I was hoping for a video from this but despite having set it all up beautifully, someone managed to knock the tripod while the audience was filing in, and we ended up with footage of the back of various audience members' heads and absolutely nothing of us.  Rats! Still, if the audio footage is decent, I shall put it up (once I have permission from the publisher, which I am still in the process of seeking).  More here, as and when...

No comments:

Post a Comment