Saturday 2 January 2016

Happy New Year, everyone!  With love from one of the most beautiful costumes I have ever had the privilege to wear, as Mrs Higgins in "My Fair Lady" in Cologne.  For something designed to flatten my curves, it is ridiculously gorgeous, and I have been trying (thus far unsuccessfully) to steal the hat since I first laid eyes upon it.

I am also having the time of my life working with utterly brilliant colleagues who respond upon a sixpence to novelty, whether planned or not.  We have the luxury of a pretty long run here (twelve performances).  Small tweaks are discussed and tried out, and we can gauge whether the public responded well to such changes.  It is a fabulous way of working, and I wish we as actor/singers had the opportunity to use it more often.  

One of the many changes which has had a very positive effect was a joke which, I realised only when we started rehearsals here (because our previous outing to Oman was a little rushed as regards rehearsal), fell flat because it hadn't been set up properly.  I can only say that I am THRILLED to be working with a tenor and leading man, Stephen Chaundy, who not only agreed with my analysis of the joke situation, but voluntarily learned new lines in order to better set it up.  Those in the business will know what an amazing coup a tenor learning new lines which don't lead directly to his glory might be!!  (Joke!)  

May your 2016 be beautiful and life-affirming.  And thank you so much for reading this!

Katy x

No comments:

Post a Comment